Sunday, August 9, 2015

Desire To Inspire




Welcome to another edition of Desire To Inspire!


Let's meet Linda Vaubel. We sent Linda a bundle of Audrey by Color Principle. This bright collection features yellow, black and white floral prints.

HG:  Welcome! Tell us about yourself. Where do you live and sew?

LV:  I  live in Oro Valley, Arizona, a suburb north of Tucson, in the shadow of the beautiful Santa Catalina Mountains.


LV:  My husband and I have been married for 40 years and we raised identical twin daughters, who live in California with their husbands.  One of our daughters has two daughters (Grandma's pride and joy).


HG:  How did you start quilting and where did you learn how to quilt?

LV:  I  think I have been sewing all of my life!  But I officially took Home Economics in 7th grade and my enthusiasm for sewing took off from there.  When I went to college I fully intended to major in English, but at the very last moment, while in line for registration (back in the day), I decided then and there that I was going to major in Home Economics.  I have always enjoyed making my own clothes and home decor items, and then sewing and smocking for my daughters until they reached the age where they wanted to just run to the mall to buy something to wear the same day!  At that point, I took up quilting, not realizing how addictive it would be!


HG:  What are your favorite quilting techniques?

LV:  When I am searching for a pattern, the appliqué quilts are always the first to catch my eye, but I really enjoy arranging and piecing together the parts of a block.  There can be so many variations within the same block.  I was enthralled when the Stack 'N Whack method was popular and I made two king size quilts using that technique.




LV:  My first quilting learning experience began with a group of ladies from my church who generously volunteered their time to teach a number of us the basics of cutting, piecing and quilting.  It was a fabulous time of learning and sharing that I will always treasure.


HG:  Do you belong to a guild?

LV:  I  belong to the Tucson Chapter of the American Sewing Guild, and the Tucson Old Pueblo Pleaters Smocking Guild.  I used to smock little dresses for my daughters, and I still make smocked gifts for special babies.  Our guild also smocks Wee Care gowns for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the University Medical Center.

HG:  Would you like to add anything else?

LV:  I  have enjoyed the creative experience of meeting the Desire to Inspire challenge and I hope I have presented an inspiration for others in the items I have created. 

HG:  Thank you! You did a fabulous job.

- HG

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow! I really admire all of Linda's projects. Beautiful fabrics, and that little dress with the smocking and hanger is absolutely adorable!

Betsy said...

Wow, theses projects are all stunning!

Terri Swearingen Thomas said...

Linda, they are all beautiful, you ate so talented!

Terri Swearingen Thomas said...

Linda, they are all beautiful, you are so talented!

Terri Swearingen Thomas said...

Linda, they are all beautiful, you are so talented!

Terri Swearingen Thomas said...

Linda, they are all beautiful, you ate so talented!

Terri Swearingen Thomas said...

Linda, they are all beautiful, you ate so talented!

DebraKay Neiman said...

This is So beautiful...I just have to do some smocking for my granddaughters dresses.

DebraKay Neiman said...

Linda Please e-mail me - I have a question about your projects. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com